frenchman arnault castel founded kapok in 2006 with a goal to discover and bring to asia the “future classics”. kapok has grown from the first lifestyle select store in hong kong, to an internationally renowned brand for its authentic yet approachable take on fashion and design.
with a well-trained eye for exploring newness, a passion for discovery and above all, a taste for the unpretentious, kapok is now widely recognized as the alternative wunderkind in the hong kong and singapore retail scene.
kapok began as a lifestyle shop located on a quiet backstreet of tin hau. our mission is to present a variety of fashion and lifestyle products sourced internationally, with a focus on quality and creativity.
we now present a different theme and product selection across our 8 stores, 6 in hong kong and 2 in singapore.
• kapok (2008) for fashion and accessories on st francis yard
• kapok on sun street (2010) for lifestyle and culture, with the addition of a cafe and a gallery space
• kapok at k11 (2011), an up-to-date version of yesterday’s warm and authentic general stores
• kapok at eslite hysan place (2013), a curation of fashion accessories for the young and dynamic city crowd
• kapok - crafted in hong kong at pmq (2014), focusing on hong kong designers and brands
• maison kitsune fashion walk (2015), the hong kong flagship of french / japanese brand maison kitsune
• tangs orchard (2013), an offering of fashion and lifestyle essentials on singapore's shopping belt
• kapok at national design centre (2014), our singapore flagship store with a cafe in collaboration with tanuki raw
the kapok tree
the tree which we took our name from grow tall in their ecosystem, branching out to provide a home for plants and animals dependent on nourishment and exposure. kapok provides a unique roof under which people in the community can meet freely and find inspiring quality goods with great aesthetic.
with a spirit of curiosity, we are strongly influenced by culture and have taken many opportunities to cross over into photography, art, design and food. since our inception, we have collaborated with hong kong’s creatives by holding regular monthly exhibitions in our stores. with a dual aim to stimulate the store atmosphere and provide our clients with an enriching experience during each visit, kapok has fostered young artists and creative minds we feel connected to.
some of our collaborations include german contemporary culture magazine 032c, introducing their berlin legendary “société de 032c” parties to the city at the occasion of art basel hong kong. at the b jirushi yoshida x fennica travelling show, we joined forces with japanese retailer beams, to launch the b jirushi “global standard” line : a line of minimal-design, high-functionality travel and gift products previously sold exclusively at the narita airport international terminal shop. we have also hosted markus freitag of swiss sustainable carry goods brand freitag in a talk and workshop, as well as organized playful and interactive events for our customers like hong kong's first ever pug race championships.